Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Woody Haut

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 07 Mar 2003

Graham said of Woody Haut's books:

"This is all in my opinion, but I felt that he elevated secondary novels that illustrated his point while ignoring or even trashing better novels that didn't."

Wasn't that Pauline Kael's basic objection to Andrew Sarris's statement of the "auteur theory," that it would lead to the valorization of a director's lesser films for displaying the auteur's style, often at the sacrifice of substance, over those that put the needs of the story first?

"Specifically, he mentioned that Howard Browne in THE TASTE OF ASHES was content to focus on personal crimes instead of "state crimes" (i.e. racism, sexism, etc.)."

And I was very content to read about those personal crimes. One of the best.

Mark