RARA-AVIS: CORA IS A NYMPHO...

From: abc@wt.net
Date: 07 Mar 2003

...is and interesting book in more ways than one. First of all there's that title. Not exactly PC, but then the book was published in 1963, and it was published by Novel Books, creators of some of the best titles ever, including my favorite, DAMMIT, DON'T TOUCH MY BROAD! (The exclamation mark is part of the title.)

But I digress. The reason I bought CORA on eBay was because the author's name is Harry Whittington. I'd never seen this book in any Whittington bibliography, or at least I don't remember it, so naturally I had to have a look. (Another digression: there's at least one book with Whittington's name of the cover that Whittington definitely didn't write. The Lancer book LOVE CULT was written by Ralph Carter.) I put in a big bid, but CORA went for under $15, which I considered a bargain. (Yet another digression: in a recent auction, one of Whittington's Greenleaf books as "Henry Whittier" went for well over a hundred bucks. I didn't get that one.)

When the book arrived, I was a little taken aback by the back cover blurb. Here's the interesting part: "Now we take pride in presenting a young, unpublished author -- Harry Whittngton." This was 1963, remember, when Whittington was, to say the least, well-published. He was no longer a kid, either.

So I had to read to book and see what was going on. Now that I have, I'm 90% convinced that Whittington did write it. The pacing and the style are familiar. So is the plotting, which is a bit of a twist on the one I'd just read in IF YOU HAVE TEARS. In this book, the embezzler and the woman (a nympho, in 1963 terms) get away with the crime. They're living in the country in Kansas, afraid to spend all the dough, when along comes Joe Byars, who's looking for Cora, his wife, who seems to have disappeared. Before it's all over, we find out some interesting things about Joe, and, of course, he's screwed. (Not so much literally, however, no matter what the title implies. The sex is all suggested, not described, and the one hot sex scene in the book is about six lines long.)

Bill Crider