RARA-AVIS: Fast One

From: jumblejim ( jumblejim@prodigy.net)
Date: 07 Mar 2003

A little belatedly, I've just finished Paul Cain's widely and wildly praised FAST ONE. I can't say I caught the fever. Aside from the ending, which is bleak as they come and worthy of the other Cain, I found the story very hard to follow, motivations cluttered, and characters barely distinguishable. It's good, hard writing, but I had to force myself to stay with it, as I couldn't pick it up again after a few hours and remember who was who and what it was about. Those last three or four pages, though, are worth remembering.

Jim Beaver Nawyecka Productions jumblejim@prodigy.spam
(replace "spam" with "net")