RARA-AVIS: William Hoffman's WILD THORN

From: Ed Lynskey ( e_lynskey@yahoo.com)
Date: 06 Mar 2003

This isn't a 1970s title, though William Hoffman has been publishing since the 1950s.

I finished reading his lastest novel, WILD THORN (2002), which features his protag, Charles LeBlanc (who I see made it on rara-avis' Top 100 Hardboiled List).

LeBlanc is the black sheep of a wealthy family who has fled to Montana and now returned to West Virginia to butt heads with the local sheriff among others.

This is the third Hoffman novel I've read and I liked the same protagonist more in the earlier books. This story seems to lack the same intensity. Neverthless, I'll stick with him if future books do come out. Hoffman's writing style is also strong and spare, what appeals to me.

Ed Lynskey

=====