RARA-AVIS: Hardboiled Hollywood

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 04 Mar 2003

When did the "Hollywood" subgenre of hardboiled or noir pop up, and what are some of the notable originating stories and novels? With my very limited reading, McCoy's 1935 THEY SHOOT HORSES, DON'T THEY? is the earliest one I can think of. Be- yond that Hallas' YOU PLAY THE BLACK AND THE RED COMES UP
(1938) and Nathanael West's DAY OF THE LOCUST (1939) come to mind. Is there anything earlier than McCoy's? Are there any others in the 1930s? What about later?

I got some of the later hardboiled Hollywood from Jack Bludis' new site (excellent), including Oates' BLONDE, Harold Robbins' CARPETBAGGERS, and Ellroy's L.A. CONFIDENTIAL. It would be a crime, of course, not to mention Jack's THE BIG SWITCH. I haven't read it yet, but I hear that Chandler's LITTLE SISTER fits in, too.

I would define the hardboiled Hollywood genre as having some- thing to do with actors, actresses, producers, screenwriters, or other movie people in Hollywood.

Thanks, miker