RE: RARA-AVIS: The Grifters - Hell of a woman - Serie Noire

From: Etienne Borgers ( wbac1203@wanadoo.be)
Date: 04 Mar 2003

>To me Coup de Torchon achieves the same dazzling ending that Pop. 1280
>did. I don't want to spoil the ending for anyone who hasn't read the
>book, but Philippe Noiret throughout the movie, and particularly at the
>end captures the essense of Nick Corey. I was doing a little browsing
>and found that a new Coup de Torchon DVD is available with both an
>alternative ending and a 45 minute presentaion by the director, Bertrand
>Tavernier.
>
>-Dave Zeltserman

WHO OBVIOUSLY WAS ANSWERING THE FOLLOWING (by E.Borgers):

>I do not share the same enthusiasm as Dave for "Coup de torchon", very
>good
>film by itself, but IMO did not capture the final essence of 'pop. 1280'
>by
>lacking this near metaphysical level Thompson's novel reaches.
>But I place the novel very high in my personal pantheon, and I always
>considered it as the best novel by Thompson.

E.Borgers

By "final essence" I did not refer to the factual ending of the novel. But this wording was probably misleading as I was evoking the higher level reached by the novel *as a whole*.

So, maybe it could be better expressed like this:
"Coup de torchon", very good film by itself, but IMO did not capture the essence of 'pop. 1280' by lacking this near metaphysical level Thompson's novel reaches."

But even like this I think will not convince Dave who seems to be an enthusiastic fan of Tavernier's film.

E.Borgers HARD-BOILED MYSTERIES http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384