Re: RARA-AVIS: THE GETAWAY (spoiler)

From: Charlie Williams ( cs_will@hotmail.com)
Date: 04 Mar 2003

Miker wrote:
<< I know what he was trying to do. He wanted them to suffer for their sins, but he was tired of the cliche shootout and wanted to come up with something different. The problem is that the one he chose is ridiculous. >>

That ending is pure Jim Thompson. It's hell, and the novel is always heading there. For me, there is something lacking all through the novel *until* we get to the final segment.

I can see that it might be a bit jarring for some, next to the slick narrative elsewhere. But Thompson probably wanted to jar you. You've been heading towards this perfect ending where the goal is reached and everything's OK, but it's not there. It just carries on... only much worse.

---
Charlie Williams

_________________________________________________________________ Use MSN Messenger to send music and pics to your friends http://messenger.msn.co.uk