RE: RARA-AVIS: The Grifters - Hell of a woman - Serie Noire

From: Dave ( davezelt@attbi.com)
Date: 03 Mar 2003

Thinking a little more about Jim Thompson films, the original "The Getaway" has to have the most perfect casting possible with Steve McQueen as Doc McCoy and Al Lettieri as Rudy. It's just too bad the movie had to ruin the book's terrific apocalyptic ending.

The most disappointing film has to be The Killer Inside Me with Stacy Keach as Lou Ford. My favorite Jim Thompson movie (well, he wrote the screenplay) has to be "Paths of Glory"

Years ago I read that Michael Keaton signed on to play Carl Bigelow in Savage Night. Too bad they never made it, Keaton would've been perfect in that role.

To me Coup de Torchon achieves the same dazzling ending that Pop. 1280 did. I don't want to spoil the ending for anyone who hasn't read the book, but Philippe Noiret throughout the movie, and particularly at the end captures the essense of Nick Corey. I was doing a little browsing and found that a new Coup de Torchon DVD is available with both an alternative ending and a 45 minute presentaion by the director, Bertrand Tavernier.

-Dave Zeltserman http://www.hardluckstories.com/inhisshadow.htm In His Shadow - noir to the nth degree

-----Original Message----- From: owner-rara-avis@icomm.ca [mailto: owner-rara-avis@icomm.ca] On Behalf Of Etienne Borgers Sent: Monday, March 03, 2003 1:46 PM To: rara-avis@icomm.ca Subject: RE: RARA-AVIS: The Grifters - Hell of a woman - Serie Noire

At 14:51 02-03-03 -0500, you wrote:
>"The Grifters" is a good adaptation, but the best adaptation of a Jim
>Thompson book has to be "Coup de Torchon" a French adaptation of Pop.
>1280. What's remarkable about this version is it takes Pop. 1280 out of
>West Texas and moves it to a French territory in Africa, and the movie
>still captures the feel of the book entirely.
>
>The one movie I've bene wanting to see but can't find is the French
>version of "Hell of a Woman". Has anyone on this list ever seen it?
>
>-Dave Zeltserman

I do not share the same enthusiasm as Dave for "Coup de torchon", very good film by itself, but IMO did not capture the final essence of 'pop. 1280' by lacking this near metaphysical level Thompson's novel reaches. But I place the novel very high in my personal pantheon, and I always considered it as the best novel by Thompson.

'Hell of a woman' was adapted in a French film by Alain Corneau (Serie Noire - 1979), in which the best part is the first class interpretation by two actors: Patrick Dewaere and Bernard Blier. The grim atmosphere created by Corneau added to the basic qualities of this film, which is good but not prominent. Even if the script was co-written by Georges Perec, the well known writer, and the story adapted to French locations and French style of characters. And I do not think it recreates really the ambiance of the novel nor Thompson's universe... But I did not watch it again recently. Dewaere committed suicide in 1982 (he was 35 years old) and his dead cut short the promising career of this ultra-gifted actor.

E.Borgers Hard-boiled Mysteries http;//www.geocities.com/Athens/6384

.