Re: RARA-AVIS: James Atlee Phillips and a JDM comment

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 03 Mar 2003

On 3 March 2003, abc@wt.net wrote:

: Bill, I think John D. MacDonald regretted having written NO DEADLY DRUG.
: It required a lot of time and research and didn't sell very many copies.
: As I recall, JDM said he could have used that time better if he'd
: written a couple of McGee novels instead.

Or more--it's the size of about three McGe books. He thanks an assistant, but no matter how it was done it must have taken tons of time to research, and just to write. Even if he had typists, it's laborious to take
"BAILEY: And what did you do next?" in a transcript and turn it into,
"Bailey rose slowly from his chair and advanced on the witness. 'And what did you do next?' he drawled." And with so much of the material already given, I wonder how much of JDM's stamp it bears.

Bill