Re: RARA-AVIS: Southern Gothic

From: Chris Martin ( cptpipes@hotmail.com)
Date: 28 Feb 2003

I enjoyed your comments on Southern Gothic and its relation to noir, Miker. I read Woodrell's GIVE US A KISS--billed as "a country noir"--last week and loved it. I have enjoyed the two other books by him that I've read, but this was my favorite. Wickedly funny, yet also sad. That can be a great combo when done well.

Larry Brown and Chris Offutt are two other great writers who have both their Southern Gothic moments and their hardboiled moments. And what about Cormac McCarthy? Talk about hardboiled.

One day until 70s month. I hope to re-read some Elmore Leonards from that era (I love those Detroit novels) as well as read Vern E. Smith's THE JONES MEN for the first time. I'm looking forward to hearing others' comments on this era as well. And for those who've never read THE LAST GOOD KISS, wadda you waiting for? C'mon, 70s month is the perfect time give it a whirl.

Chris

_________________________________________________________________ MSN 8 with e-mail virus protection service: 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus