Re: RARA-AVIS: Spy Fiction in the '60s

From: Ed Lynskey ( e_lynskey@yahoo.com)
Date: 27 Feb 2003

--- JIM DOHERTY < jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com> wrote:
> and at least three awful films featuring Dean
> Martin as Donald Hamilton's Matt Helm (well, maybe not
> HAMILTON'S Matt Helm, but at least a character named
> Matt Helm in films ostensibly based on Hamilton's
> novels).

Jim,

I know the Dean Martin "Matt Helms" movies put me off from reading Hamilton's paperbacks for years. But I've read 4 or 5 of them over the last year and once you get a hang of what he's up to, they're a fun go. The prose style is tight, what I like about them. I do get the single word titles mixed up. Right now I'm reading THE DEVASTATORS.

Ed Lynskey

=====