Re: RARA-AVIS: Spy Fiction in the '60s

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 27 Feb 2003

On 27 February 2003, JIM DOHERTY wrote:

: Considering that it's the topic of the month, there's been very little
: discussion about the 1960s. One point that I think should be mentioned
: is that the single most popular mystery sub-genre in the '60s,
: particularly the mid-60s, was spy fiction.

And that fed into the HB paperback original world very nicely, with Matt Helm and Earl Drake and the others, and carried on into all those other post-pulp men's adventure series. I always think of Shell Scott and Chet Drum when I think of PBO series, but they started in the '50s, and even though Drum got all around the world, he wasn't a spy.

I enjoyed the 1960s books I read this month. I'm looking forward to some good stuff next month, and I hope people will pick a book and send out some comments. The hardboiled stuff won't be hard to find, but how about
'70s noir?

Bill