RE: RARA-AVIS: Southern Gothic: Poe?

From: Todd Mason ( Todd.Mason@tvguide.com)
Date: 27 Feb 2003

That's part of why I didn't mention Poe...much of his work is largely unmoored in contemporary setting, if you get what I'm saying...

-----Original Message----- From: Patrick [mailto: pat512@mindspring.com]
> You could advance an argument that Poe was the true
> grandaddy of Southern Gothic. I mean if Virginia
> is still considered Southern.

> Ed Lynskey

Whether or not it is now, it certainly was in Poe's time. But how much did the Southern "aura" show up in his writing? (Genuine question).