Re: RARA-AVIS: Profesionals and amateurs

From: Al Guthrie ( allanguthrie@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: 25 Feb 2003

> Al wrote:
>
> >Noir fiction often (but by no means exclusively) has a victim or criminal
> >protagonist. Hardboiled fiction often (but by no means exclusively) has
> >detective protagonist.
> >
> >You find out if you write a parody (as I've just done) that it's
difficult
> >to convince if you write noir from the detective's viewpoint or
hardboiled
> >from the victim's. It can be done, of course. But it ceases to be as
> >convincing a parody. At least, that's my experience.

> Kerry wrote:
> A double inversion. I dig it. Must do the same thing to a story that a
> double negative does to a sentence. You protest too much.

The only thing I protest about is the fact that I haven't a clue what you're on about. Please explain the "double inversion" and tell me what I'm supposed to be protesting about. I thought I was pretty much in agreement with Bill, who stated "the hardboiled world is full of professionals", ie private investigators (detective protagonists), and "Being swept up in a noirish nightmare really only happens to innocents and losers", ie the victim ("innocent") or criminal ("loser") protagonist.

Al