Re: RARA-AVIS: Profesionals and amateurs

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 24 Feb 2003

> At 01:18 PM 25/02/2003 +1100, you wrote:
>
> >Although it's not hardboiled, I think Robert Altman's wonderful
recent
> >movie Gosford Park shows how you can take that form and create
something
> >totally different with it.
>
> Oh, and it had elements of noir, if not hardboil too. How nasty that
local
> copper turned after the inspector's recall to London. Elsewhere too,
but
> more implied than stated. As you said, a wonderful movie.
>
> Kerry

I thought it had elements of noir also, I just didn't want to start another donnybrook re: definitions. I think of Gosford Park and Altman's The Long Goodbye as having a strong connection in that Altman's taken the hatchet to two of the most popular mystery fiction genres, seen by most people as being polar (no pun intended, for French readers) opposites, the cozy & the hardboiled p.i. story. I see both films as being more in the way of comments on, rather than examples of, their respective genres.Sort of like, "now this is how a story like this would really go" rather than following the conventions of the genre, which is I think the main reason Altman chose to give The Long Goodbye a contemporary setting, in order to emphasise, or exaggerate, the differences between "reality" and Chandler's original story. These are just ruminations - people are free to disagree with them, I'm not claiming they contain any absolute truth. In other words, I don't want to argue about it, Jim, even if you think my notions are rather dopey.
:-) Keep smiling, Rene