Re: RARA-AVIS: Artifice, tradition, and all that jazz.

From: Kerry Schooley ( gsp.schoo@skylinc.net)
Date: 23 Feb 2003

At 12:13 PM 23/02/2003 +0000, you wrote:

>All right, so US statistics will allow you to multiply his "maybe two" by
>40 IIRC. But we're talking "cozy" (an American term) or "traditional".

Funny, but I've never equated "cozy" with "traditional" (that was you Jim, I think.) Maybe I'm not adequately acquainted with their contemporaries, but I felt Doyle very different from Christie. I always thought Holmes appeal lay more with a popular fascination with science, more like the later procedurals (though Holmes was not a cop, of course) and the current forensics formulas. Poirot applied his "little grey cells" too, of course, but more toward the behaviour of the upper classes than the tracks they left about.

Now Lestrade, he was hardboiled, and damned bad at it.

Best Kerry

------------------------------------------------------ Literary events Calendar (South Ont.) http://www.lit-electric.com The evil men do lives after them http://www.murderoutthere.com