RARA-AVIS: Noir music

From: Moorich2@aol.com
Date: 19 Feb 2003

Wow, what a topic to dive into. Months ago we discussed Miles Davis and his soundtrack for "Ascenseur pour lechafaud," Lift to the scaffold.")

Hmmm. Somewhere I have the album featuring music from the Darin McGavin Mike Hammer series. I think it was Nelson Riddle. Not bad in a big band brassy way. I rather liked an "extended play" disk I have that Mickey Spillane endorsed big time when it came out in the 1950s. It too was jazz and I have fond memories of it.

Thinking of jazz, a lot of forms might work. Certainly I can see the suitability of Charles Mingus...say his "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat." I'm fond of the singer/composer/pianist Patricia Barber. Maybe "Or Not To Be" from her album "A Distortion of Love." I love the blues. Too much to sort out on short notice. But Big Walter Horton's "Bloodstains on the Wall" is a start. I've always found the late John Campbell to be very dark. Maybe he had a hunch he would drop dead at 42 just as he was meeting with some success. Perhaps his "Angel of Sorrow" or "Wild Streak" or "World of Trouble" ("I left the station walking. You know this time of night the buses don't run through the outskirts of paradise.")

I can't wait to see what others suggest.

Richard Moore