RE: RARA-AVIS: RE: Noir music: Lochte

From: Todd Mason ( Todd.Mason@tvguide.com)
Date: 19 Feb 2003

Although the Glenn Miller Orchestra's version that I've heard most of my life was even-handed in its gender condemnation, with male and female singers taking turns..."My momma done told me..." perhaps inspired Cornell Woolrich as much as Smokey Robinson...

(Punk rock was often noirish long before and continuing after Nirvana, of course.) TM

-----Original Message----- From: Dick Lochte [mailto: dlochte@adelphia.net]

Before we start talking about Nirvana's noirness, let's not forget the ultimate noir ballad "Blues in the Night." Johnny Mercer's admittedly sexist lyrics -- "A woman's a two-face, a worrisome thing who'll leave you to sing the blues in the night"
-- poetically reflect the storyline for most noir movies and novels, while Harold Arlen's music could serve as the universal noir soundtrack.