Re: RARA-AVIS: THE PULP JUNGLE (1967)

From: Sidney Allinson ( sidneya@shaw.ca)
Date: 15 Feb 2003

> But "craftsman" has been used by critics as a demeaning
> term for a long, long time.
> When I was a kid, and already a fan of J.B. Priestley, I
> would get incensed when critics called him a "skillful
> craftsman". Now I am amused, though I carefully avoid using
> it when writing criticism. It's a good word that has been
> spoiled by misuse and overuse.

Ah, yes, Mario, but that stems from the frequent posturing among some literary critics who imagine writing to be a sort of esoteric and disorganized "creative process." Whereas real wordsmiths know first-hand that writing anything of substance demands planning and structure and orderliness. The artsy image of a dishevelled ink-stained wretch is far from the reality of disciplined professional authors' craftsmanship, dogged persistence, daily word quotas, and repeated re-writing to finally get the story down right.
-- Sidney.