Re: RARA-AVIS: THE PULP JUNGLE (1967)

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 15 Feb 2003

Sidney:

<<As I have been a writer all my life, I have nothing but respect for any writer who approaches his work as a craftsman.>>

But "craftsman" has been used by critics as a demeaning term for a long, long time.

When I was a kid, and already a fan of J.B. Priestley, I would get incensed when critics called him a "skillful craftsman". Now I am amused, though I carefully avoid using it when writing criticism. It's a good word that has been spoiled by misuse and overuse.

Oh, the other day some radio DJ called trumpeter Clark Terry a "gifted craftsman", "like Ruby Braff". OK.

Regards,

MrT