Re: RARA-AVIS: THE PULP JUNGLE (1967)

From: Michael Robison ( zspider@gte.net)
Date: 15 Feb 2003

Sidney Allinson
> The latter-day solemnity towards early writers of thrillers and pulps
> is faintly comical. For the most part, they were freelancers who did
> it in a matter-of-fact way, without a shred of self-consciousness
> about any "social significance."

********** For me, that "solemnity" is a respect for the quality of the good writers' work. In my way of thinking, the commercial nature does nothing to demean it. And what the author meant or didn't mean doesn't much matter to me either. The work stands by itself. Or at least that's what my buddy Barthes says.

miker