Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Digest V5 #33 - Noir

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 13 Feb 2003

> Rene wrote:
>
> "I think that maybe why the western and the hardboiled novel often
> overlap is because they are often set in the same geographical area -
> here I'm thinking of noir films & novels set in the desert or badlands
:
> Detour, Gun Crazy, Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, God is a
Bullet.
> On the one hand, these stories are set in the same badlands that good
&
> bad cowboys & Indians fought & died in Westerns but on the other hand,
> the protagonists are a drive away from the modern city."
>
> Rene,
>
> I think your point is reinforced by the fact that the director of
> Alfredo Garcia was very (far more in my opinion) adept at westerns and
> God is a Bullet is an update of the classic western The Searchers.
>
> Mark

Yep. In fact God is a Bullet is the second noir update of The Searchers that I'm aware of - the other being Scorsese's Taxi Driver.John Ford's The Searchers itself belongs to that list of Westerns with a strong noir feel, as does his My Darling Clementine and he also directed a film noir, The Fugitive, based on Graham Greene's The Power and the Glory, set in the deserts of Mexico.

Rene