Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Digest V5 #33

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 13 Feb 2003

If we're going to go back in literary history, the story of Jason and Medea is as noir as they come. Guy guided by ambition, led astray by duplicitous woman, murders her brother to further his career, his plan fails, wants to drop the old woman for a younger one (and a throne), she kills their son, then Jason commits suicide. Medea, the dame in question, goes somewhere else.

If you were to give this to Gil Brewer, a quintessential noirist, he would return with a fat manuscript (two or three Gold Medals, at least, if not a whole "Argonaut" series).

We need to refine the concept: are we talking about noir as style (which includes atmosphere) or about a typology of characters and situations?

Best,

MrT