RARA-AVIS: defining noir

From: Lehane, Con [NEA] ( CLehane@nea.org)
Date: 12 Feb 2003

I like "the product of a diseased and demented mind" myself. Actually, I think that the difficulty in putting noir into a neatly defined category is an indication of the genre's vibrancy as a form ... it shouldn't be easy to categorize powerful writing, I hope. On a panel at the Cape Fear Crime Festival ... chaired by our own Jack Bludis ... Stuart Kaminsky talked about being in touch with the ancient myths. I sort of like that. On another note, I'd also like to cast my vote for discussing Simenon. I'm a big fan of the Maigret books ... and would be really interested in how you all think they relate to noir.

best, con lehane
******************************************************************* Only the individual sender is responsible for the content of the message, and the message does not necessarily reflect the position or policy of the National Education Association or its affiliates.