RARA-AVIS: Puzo's THE GODFATHER 1969

From: Michael Robison ( zspider@gte.net)
Date: 08 Feb 2003

I've been wanting to reread this book for a while. I had sort of a hard time finding it (used), but Mark Blumenthal solved that problem for me on my Chicago trip. I just finished it today and I haven't exactly sorted my thoughts out on it yet.

But it is a fantastic book. I noticed that it built a world similar to Ellroy's BLACK DAHLIA. I say similar because they both deal in almost 100% corruption, and both entertain the interesting concept of "good" graft. The portrayal of Don Corleone is breathtaking. It's slick. It's exciting. It's entertaining. Puzo builds a complex world and fills it with fantastic people and tells a great story.

It's strange that a book that is so totally steeped in crime can be so life- affirming and positive. It's beautiful.

Puzo's GODFATHER kicks ass.

What other good books fall in the gangster sub-genre? I've read LITTLE CAESAR and SANCTUARY. I've heard of Chase's ORCHIDS.

Thanks, miker