RARA-AVIS: Re: 60s month: PICKUP

From: Charlie Williams ( cs_will@hotmail.com)
Date: 07 Feb 2003

Chris wrote:

>For sixties month I'm halfway through Willeford's PICKUP, which I'm sure
>many if not most on this list have already read. When I mentioned the book
>to a friend, he let a major spoiler slip that surprised me when he said it
>almost as much as it would have had I made it to the end without that
>knowledge. Now I am picking up on clues that I never would have noticed
>otherwise. Not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

I think your friend did you no favours for spoiling it for you. I got to the last page thinking "this is a great novel", but when I read the last line I thought "uh oh, this is not the novel I thought it was". My first thought was "device", but when I thought about it the novel was so good that the ending was justified, and even great when you think about it a little more. More than with any other novel I had to turn back to page one and read it all again, which is Willeford's success.

FWIW, this is my favourite Willeford novel.

---
Charlie Williams

_________________________________________________________________ Overloaded with spam? With MSN 8, you can filter it out http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail&pgmarket=en-gb&XAPID=32&DI=1059