RARA-AVIS: Ross Macdonald's THE GALTON CASE

From: Ed Lynskey ( e_lynskey@yahoo.com)
Date: 01 Feb 2003

To close out my 1950s reading, I took on a Lew Archer entry, THE GALTON CASE (1959). For me, this story didn't hang together as well as other early Lew Archer tales. Again, it involves a rich lady and Lew is hired to find her son missing for twenty years. The plot seems to wobble, especially toward the end.

OTH,I did enjoy reading it. Lew, at one point, has a tooth broken and has to see a dentist. (Usually, the teeth are knocked out whole.) At another point, a Sheriff picks up a pencil and breaks it. Good mannerisms create believable hb characters, eh?

Ed Lynskey

=====