RARA-AVIS: 60s: Deep Six/J.M. Flynn

From: James Reasoner ( james53@flash.net)
Date: 01 Feb 2003

A mention of J.M. Flynn on another list prompted me to pull down one of my Ace Doubles by him and read it. I'd read one of Flynn's house-name Westerns and thought it was terrible but had never read any of his crime fiction. Other than an utterly predictable plot, DEEP SIX (from 1961) was something of a pleasant surprise. The pacing was good, with some nice lines scattered throughout and a likable (though not overly bright) protagonist. Scotty Malcolm is the captain of a yacht belonging to a Hollywood TV producer, and when the yacht blows up, killing the producer and a beautiful starlet, Malcolm gets the blame and has to find the real killer to clear his name. Everything plays out pretty much the way you'd expect it to, but in an entertaining fashion.

Overall, just good enough that I'd read more by Flynn, but probably not right away.

James