RARA-AVIS: Just under the wire...

From: abc@wt.net
Date: 29 Jan 2003

I read a 1950s book, Day Keene's LOVE ME AND DIE. This is one of those Phantom Books, a digest-sized publication from 1951. Keene liked to use similar situations in different books, and this one begins with a p.i. on retainer to a movie studio getting a call from a movie star who believes he might have killed someone in a hit-and-run accident. That's virtually the same set-up as the one in another Keene book from the same publisher, but I can't recall the name of it right now. Anyway, it's only 128 pages long, so it moves pretty quickly, with gangsters and sadistic hoods, beautiful half-naked women, a few beatings, and a murder or two. Keene, like his friend Harry Whittington, wasn't stylish, but he could tell a story.

Bill Crider