RARA-AVIS: 1950s: So Deadly My Love

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 28 Jan 2003

Gorman and Greenberg's anthology PULP MASTERS has Harry Whittington's SO DEADLY MY LOVE (1957) in it. It was originally half of an Ace double, so it's not long. Not short enough for me to read it all, though. The introduction says Whittington was formulaic but stylish, but this one is light on the latter.

A private eye returns to a southern town ten years after serving time for a crime he didn't commit. The guy that sprung him, a powerful politician, needs help, because his right-hand man has disappeared. This politician is married to a woman that the PI loved, and who was responsible for the frame that sent him to jail. Right off the bat she's making eyes for him, and after a chat with the chief of police who's trying to take control of the county away from the politician, he meets a stripper who was in love with the missing man. There are many long conversations where very little happens. I skipped to the finish, which was unsurprising.

More entertaining is a look at some original covers from other Whittington books:

        http://www.disc-us.com/profiles/whit_titles.htm

Bill