Re: RARA-AVIS: The Red Menace

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 24 Jan 2003

Miker,

Re your comment below:

> . . . Jim Doherty has stated that James Bond
> isn't hardboiled because
> he fails
> the colloquial test, I think that Bond made it onto
> our top 100 characters,
> didn't he?
> I understand Jim's exception to Bond being
> hardboiled, but I'm not sure I
> agree on
> it.

You're right. My opinion was, and is, that Bond isn't quite hard-boiled. You're also right that this opinion wasn't greeted with universal acceptance. It's possible to agree on a general definition of
"hard-boiled" and still disagree on whether or not a particular character fits that definition.

I don't think Bond fits, but people whose opinions I respect think he does, and I certainly have no objection to his being discussed on this list.

JIM DOHERTY