RARA-AVIS: Re: Richard Price

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 23 Jan 2003

Mark wrote:

>Of course, he was also involved with the questionable Shaft remake and
>Martin Scorcese's Michael Jackson video, Bad, which he "wrote."

Well, they can't all be gems.

But it's interesting to note that Price ended up working with Scorsese, someone who also uses music is sometimes very effective and dramatic ways. Imagine a Pelecanos book adapted by Price for a film to be directed by Scorsese. Now that would be some soundtrack.

Maybe Nick Hornby can do some additional dialogue.

And speaking of Scorsese, I'm still not sure how I feel about the ambitious and defiantly over-the-top GANGS OF NEW YORK (though DiCaprio was woefully miscast), but the soundtrack definitely kicked.