Re: RARA-AVIS: Richard Price

From: Joy Matkowski ( jmatkowski1@comcast.net)
Date: 21 Jan 2003

Thanks for mentioning this book, Chris. Our Sunday newspaper had a glowing
(syndicated) review of it and two of Price's previous books, and I was wondering why I'd never heard of him before. The article said he's a very successful Hollywood screenwriter, work he does to support himself while he writes books.

Joy, who needs someplace to put TBRs

"Chris Martin" < cptpipes@hotmail.com> wrote:
> You've made this point before, Kevin, but it's a good point and one I've
> been thinking about a bit lately after reading SAMARITAN, Richard Price's
> latest.
>
> Like Price's previous two novels, SAMARITAN is set in a fictional New
Jersey
> city that Price's "ability to understand people and do research" brings
> alive as vividly as, say, the D.C. of Pelecanos.
>
> Of course, many of the elements of the book that I found the most
authentic
> were probably invented wholesale by Price (how could I know?), but I have
> assume that he conducts plenty of shoe-leather research to supplement his
> already strong imagination, compassion for people, etc.
>
> That aside, the book is a great read with great dialogue and (at times)
dark