Re: RARA-AVIS: Ralph Dennis and the 70s

From: James Reasoner ( james53@flash.net)
Date: 21 Jan 2003

> Also, I have to notice that his hardback novel MacTAGGART'S WAR (1979) was
> not (to my knowledge) reprinted in paperback. It was a very ambitious
novel
> and was of a type to be of interest to movie makers at the time but it
didn't
> hit and the failure to get a paperback sale had to have hurt him. I very
> much liked the novel, which was a historical caper story that concerned
the
> gold bullion shipped from England to Canada in June 1940. It had its
flaws
> as Dennis overreached his abilities but it was superior to similar novels
of
> the period.

Fawcett/Popular Library did a paperback of this book in 1980. I may even own a copy of it, though I can't guarantee that at the moment. I'll have to check. I know I have all the Hardman books, though I've never read any but the first one. I read that back when it was new and didn't care for it, but that may have been because it was packaged to look like an Executioner-type series and definitely wasn't. From what I've read on here, I need to revisit that series and should also check out MacTAGGART'S WAR. Sounds like a good book.

By the way, there's also a British PB, from Coronet, published in 1981.

Best, James