RARA-AVIS: More on the 70s

From: Moorich2@aol.com
Date: 20 Jan 2003

So here I am with the day off due to Martin Luther King Jr. I spent a portion of it going through one one my two storage bins searching for a tape I made on July 1, 1976 of an inpromptu speech by Martin Luther King Sr., the greatest speaker I have ever heard in my life. As a radio reporter in Atlanta, I taped many speeches, press conferences and etc. The one I made of Daddy King was nothing special. I might not have gone to the event if I had known he was speaking. I went because Andy Young, then a Congressman from Atlanta, was scheduled. But he could not make it and asked Daddy King to appear instead. I was treated to a stunning speech. A few years ago I gave Martin Luther King III a copy of the tape but it has been a long time since I listened to it myself I had a fair amount of association with Daddy King back then and only now appeciate how wonderful a man he was.

Along the way I discovered a couple of boxes of good mystery stuff. All that I bought but a lot that I barely remember buying. So shoot me!!! The boxes include the first six or seven years of Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine as well as copies of Mike Shayne and other mystery mags. Since the discussion of Ralph Dennis was so in the 1970s, I today plucked a copy of Mike Shayne that I have no memory of buying. It is the February 1975 issue. I took it with me on the subway and I greatly enjoyed Lawrence Treat's "Accuse Me, Please" especially the first sentence "Let me begin long ago, with this morning." This was Treat trying to do a Stanley Ellin and he comes close to succeeding.

Also the issue had Gil Brewer's "Deadly Little Green Eyes" which was a 15,000 word take on a a classic Brewer novel. The beginning was quick and not all that well laid out but he had the theme going soon and it rode well to the end. The reader had to be able to gulp at the beginning and at the end but it held together pretty well.

All in all, the reader got their 75 cents worth. In fact, these days, 75 cents does not buy a person the shortest ride on the metro system.

Richard Moore