Re: RARA-AVIS: A TICKET TO HELL

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 17 Jan 2003

> Glad to see you liked Whittington's book, miker.
> Whittington wasn't a stylist, but he was a wonderful
> storyteller, and I've enjoyed just about every book of his
> I've read.
>
> Bill Crider
> --
Ditto for me, with the possible exception of CHARRO, a novelisation of a Western movie starring Elvis in a "serious" role. It was better than the movie but that ain't saying much. Certainly every single one of his books that were reprinted after the 50's is a must-read, as well as many others that haven't been reprinted. He may not have been the greatest of noir writers but I doubt that anyone wrote anywhere near as many excellent noir novels. I've read at least a dozen top drawer books by him & I know it's only the tip of the iceberg - he wrote over 100 books, IIRC.

Rene