RARA-AVIS: EPITAPH FOR A TRAMP

From: Ed Lynskey ( e_lynskey@yahoo.com)
Date: 17 Jan 2003

miker:

Interesting post.

I just finished reading Ross Macdonald's A MOVING TARGET (1949) and thought about the metaphors/similes you write about here. RM's prose here is liberally sprinkled with them. Most are restrained enough so it was more the volume of them that jarred the narrative's smoothness.

For instance, at one place he writes about the "acne of rust" on an automobile. That's short and vivid.

Still, reading RM is always a real treat.

Ed Lynskey

=====