RE: RARA-AVIS: Re: Bethany, Spenser, and Yuppies

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 13 Jan 2003

Gerald wrote: While never as iconoclastic as Bethany, in the early books--THE GODWULF MANUSCRIPT through A SAVAGE PLACE--Spenser was the underpaid, principled outsider.

Now if you've read the early Spenser and always thought Spenser a yuppie, that's another thing.

********* And fine principles they were, bedding both mom and daughter in one single book. ;-) I haven't read any of the recent ones. Good god. He's driving a Bronco, drinks wine, and has a rich girlfriend? Well, he was an epicurean in the first book. And well-read, too. He knew the source of (paraphrased) "Give up hope all ye who enter". Benching 350, sipping on a Rothchilde 1856, and quoting Dante. A true Renaissance man if ever there was one.

Being literate is a time-honored hardboiled tradition, isn't it? Even Daly's Race Williams made literary references. I wish I could remember exactly what. It was in SNARL OF THE BEAST.

But I think the book I'm on now tops them all for quantity. In the first 30 pages he mentions Thomas Mann's MAGIC MOUNTAIN, T.S. Eliot's WASTELAND, Farrell's STUDS LONIGAN, Dostoyevsky, MOBY DICK, and Gaddis's RECOGNITIONS. Anybody want to venture a guess at the title?

And by the way, is RECOGNITIONS hardboiled?

miker