RARA-AVIS: Spenser a Yuppie?

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 12 Jan 2003

Well, he's comfortable in an urban setting, anyway (though he also seems pretty comfortable in the woods). But he was always too old to be a proper yuppie, and I'm not sure if private detective is one of the "in" professions. And one of the highlights for me, anyway, at least in the early books, was the frequent shots he took at the vanity, self-centeredness and ridiculous obsession with following trends of the then-emerging yuppie lifestyle, as in his frequent gripes about gentrification and being "urban-renewed" out of his office, and his and Hawk's running commentary on Henry's new clients at the gym.

To me, even with the annoying dog and the cozy lifestyle he now has, Spenser is still too stubborn and iconoclastic to be a real yuppie, even if he does enjoy cooking and good booze.

Now, Susan, on the other hand (and despite her age) really does seem sort of yuppie-ish.

Mind you, I guess it depends on how you define "yuppie." Is Marlowe a yuppie? How about Elvis Cole? Or V.I. Warshawski? (Think about her obsession with Italian footwear!) How about the upwardly mobile Easy Rawlins? Is he a proto-buppie? Is Kinsey Millhone a suppie, since she lives in the 'burbs?