Re: RARA-AVIS: Four for The Fifties

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 10 Jan 2003

Ed wrote:

"Speaking of the other "Charles the Great," BURNT ORANGE HERESY was IMO a ripe satire of the artsy-fartsy set. And there's one scene early in a Hoke Moseley novel had me laughing so hard I thought I'd need stitches. Maybe it was SHARK INFESTED CUSTARD."

Shark Infested Custard is not a Hoke Moseley novel, but a novel broken into four parts, each focusing on one of a group of male friends. One of those sections was published earlier (with a different ending) as Kiss Your Ass Goodbye, but the full novel is much, much better.

So, what was the scene, the one with the Hare Krishna guy at the airport? If so, it was Miami Blues.

By the way, I totally agree with your endorsement of Burnt Orange Heresy. Not only was Willeford a brilliant satirist of the art world, he was prescient as well -- his critic recommends that pieces from the Nazi's "Dangerous Art" exhibit would be a good investment. A decade or two after this book, the Smithsonian launched an exhibit based on just that, which I'm sure did not hurt their market value.

Mark