RE: RARA-AVIS: The Drowning Pool

From: Brian Thornton ( tieresias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 08 Jan 2003

At 09:36 AM 12/30/02 -0500, you wrote:
>Patrick wrote:
>You may have seen my comments on RAM a few days ago. I just read _The
>Wycherly Woman_ and loved it. Lots of twists and turns, overlap among
>characters, dead bodies now and then. Great fun.
>
>The only other one on your list that I've read is _The Name is Archer_; I
>liked it, but I generally prefer novels to shorts.

>Thanks, Patrick. You definitely enlightened me on THE NAME
>IS ARCHER. I didn't know it wasn't a novel. I'll probably
>let it slide. Somehow I missed your earlier comment on THE
>WYCHERLY WOMAN. Thanks for repeating them.

As long as you're trying on Ross MacDonald for size, I recommend "The Chill", "The Zebra Striped Hearse" and "The Galton Affair". They're all fabulous, and "The Galton Affair" is transcendent. It's one hell of a psychological novel which happens to involve a murder mystery.

I envy you, Mike. Although I can read MacDonald over and over, I can never again read him for the first time, if you know what I mean.

All the Best,

Brian