RARA-AVIS: Raymond and Ellroy

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 02 Jan 2003

Mark, speaking of gerbils: You haven't read Dora Suarez by Derek Raymond yet, have you? You read an early one, didn't you? Anyway, that figures into the book.

******** That sounds great. I can't wait. And yes, your memory is right on. I've read HE DIED WITH HIS EYES OPEN. I've got DORA SUAREZ, and I have been lusting for it. I've been trying to stick pretty much to the decade themes, but discipline isn't my strong point. After all that talk about Ellroy here recently, I had to reread THE BLACK DAHLIA.

You know, now that I think of it, besides the usual hardboiled theme, these two books have something else in common. Both EYES OPEN and THE BLACK DAHLIA have protagonists with an unnatural affinity, an obsession, involving the murder victim. I can't really say I've run into that too many times. To a lesser extent T.J. Parker's LAGUNA HEAT or Crumley's THE LAST GOOD KISS. Al- right. I guess it isn't that uncommon.

miker