RE: RARA-AVIS: 40's Month

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 31 Dec 2002

Mark wrote: The Big Clock - This is neither hard boiled nor noir.

********* Now wait a minute! It's one of the books in my 30s and 40s Noir Omnibus, so it must be noir! Haha.

I agree with you. I thought it was neither. I thought the plot could have been a great noir, but the phrase "never let em see you sweat" definitely fits this book. Fearing supposedly had trouble expressing emotions and feelings in his life. I think it's reflected in this book. Somewhere buried deep in the rara-avis archives, I think that THE BIG CLOCK got credit in a "top" something-or-other list. I didn't hate the book, but it sure didn't do much for me.

I can never remember the movie adaptation that Costner was in. It should be illegal to name a movie adaptation different from the book.

miker