Re: RARA-AVIS: revolt of the shorties

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 31 Dec 2002

Mark,

Re your comment below:

> . . . I would give little argument against your
> claim [better at short stories than novel]
> being applied
> to Hammett.

While I don't share your disdain (or at least preference) for short stories in general, I think I'd generally agree with your comment about Hammett.

At least Hammett seemed more COMFORTABLE with the short story. The bulk of his fictional output was short fiction, and four of his six novels were essentially "fix-ups," combining semi-autonomous short stories into novels.

On the other hand, THE MALTESE FALCON is still the best PI novel ever written, so he must have had SOME competence with novels.

JIM DOHERTY