Re: RARA-AVIS: DAMES, DANGER, DEATH by Brett Halliday, et al. (edited by Leo Margulies)

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 30 Dec 2002

> As one pretty tired of the oft-expressed anti-short-fiction bias here
at RA,

Speaking personally, I like short stories & have since I was a kid when I read a lot of SF & quickly realised that the short story was an ideal form for that particular genre. Anthologies such as HARDBOILED & THE MAMMOTH BOOK OF PULP FICTION, in particular, have given me much pleasure & have given me the realisation that these anthologies must be barely scratching the surface. I'd love to see an anthology series built around stories from MANHUNT, for example.

>I'm now a good
> chunk of the way into a Charles Williams seaborne hb novella, and how
you
> folks who are are willing to pass up a 60-page story of this caliber
because
> it's not 110 pages (or "Too Many" at a mere 20 or so), I'll never
> understand. TM
> --

If folks are silly enough to pass this one up they can read the novel length version, SCORPION REEF, most recently published by M. Jakubowski's Blue Murder series from Xanadu.

Rene