RARA-AVIS: Estleman on Ridley's The Drift

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 29 Dec 2002

In working my way through a stack of newspapers I set aside to read later, I ran across a Loren Estleman review of the above title. He concludes with:

"'The Drift' is the kind of book Chester Himes might have written but for censorship. John Ridley declares his own independence from today's repressive left through free use of the dreaded N-word and the stoicism that [main character] Charlie shows in the face of hate. He bids fair to become the Ralph Ellison of the postmodern hardboiled novel."

Now that is very high praise indeed. Has anyone read it? Is it really that good?

I've only read Ridley's first, Stray Dogs (basis of the Stone film U-Turn, which I've avoided). I liked it a lot, mostly as an homage to noir. I've been meaning to read more of him, but haven't gotten around to it. Maybe this review will inspire me to pick him up again. How are his other books? And how many books films and comics does this guy write in a year? Damn, he's prolific.

Mark