RARA-AVIS: The Drowning Pool

From: Ed Lynskey ( e_lynskey@yahoo.com)
Date: 29 Dec 2002

Like miker, I may be jumping the gun for the 1950s theme next month. I finished Ross Macdonald's THE DROWNING POOL (1950).

A different Lew Archer here than THE BLUE HAMMER Lew Archer. The tone is in TDP is more gritty and hardboiled. Lew is less the romantic toward the ladies he meets. I like Macdonalds' writing in TDP. A less polished and more direct style has its appeal. There's less psychological development of the characters, more emphasis on plot.

Ed Lynskey

=====