Re: RARA-AVIS: Forties Top Five

From: Michael Robison ( zspider@gte.net)
Date: 28 Dec 2002

Al Guthrie wrote:
> 1: KISS TOMORROW GOODBYE (Horace McCoy, 1948).
> 2: FAREWELL, MY LOVELY (Raymond Chandler, 1940)
> 3: THE DARK PASSAGE (Goodis)
> 4: THE DEADLY PERCHERON (John Franklin Bardin, 1946)
> 5: THEY DON'T DANCE MUCH (James Ross, 1940).

> The ones that almost made it (chronologically):
> PHANTOM LADY Cornell Woolrich, 1942
> THE BUTTERFLY James M Cain, 1946
> BUILD MY GALLOWS HIGH Geoffrey Homes, 1946
> I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVES Boris Vian, 1946
> NIGHTFALL (DARK CHASE) David Goodis, 1947
> PRELUDE TO A CERTAIN MIDNIGHT Gerald Kersh, 1947
> FRAMED IN GUILT Day Keene, 1949

**************** Again, thanks for the recommendations, Al. I'm working on my second Chandler right now, THE LONG GOODBYE. I got lucky when I was out in St. Louis recently and found a bunch more Chandler novels that I'm anxious to read. I'll definitely have to read the Bardin novel, since I've got a collection of three of them. And again you pegged an author I've never heard of, James Ross.

And all the rest too! I've seen a lot of recommendations for Cornell's PHANTOM LADY. You and Ed and Rene and others. I'm putting that on the must-read list.

miker