RARA-AVIS: Old Times Not Forgotten; was Shivering Chorus Girls

From: Joy Matkowski ( jmatkowski1@comcast.net)
Date: 24 Dec 2002

 "Rene Ribic" < rribic@optusnet.com.au> noted:
> Actually, on a planet-wide basis, I think you'd find that "law
> enforcement" techniques have not changed so much after all. And I doubt
> that they have completely disappeared from Western-style democracies
> altogether. Those techniques were still being used in my (younger) day
> in this part of the world, 20 years ago, and presumably some people who
> used them are still working in the biz, despite several corruption
> inquiries going back decades.

Here in the States, innocent convicts keep surfacing, even on death row.
    Our latest political debacle has reminded us, via op-ed essays, what segregation really was--beyond denial of education and access to anything else a reasonable person might want, thousands of little laws, like textile factory workers of different races in South Carolina weren't allowed to look out the same windows on their way to and from the work floor.
    And as a woman of a certain age, I personally was denied a promotion for which I was highly recommended by my boss and his boss--to underwriter trainee, no heavy lifting required--for the sole stated reason that I was female. People under 40 find this hard to believe because they never saw the male and female help-wanted pages.
    No, I hardly ever get nostalgic for the good old days, even at this time of year.

Joy, who wishes you all a merry Christmas