Re: RARA-AVIS: Forties Top Five

From: Al Guthrie ( allanguthrie@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: 23 Dec 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robison Michael R CNIN" < Robison_M@crane.navy.mil>

> What are your top picks for the 40s? I'm not trying to instigate a new
> list. I'm just fishing for more books to read and opinions about them.

Tips for going fishing:

1:It ain't pleasant and it'll chill your ass, so take care. If you fall in the river you can KISS TOMORROW GOODBYE (Horace McCoy, 1948). 2:When leaving your house, don't forget to say FAREWELL, MY LOVELY (Raymond Chandler, 1940) to your partner. 3:Plan your route in advance. THE DARK PASSAGE (David Goodis, 1946) is full of twists. 4:Leave the car at home and try an alternative form of transport. Although the ride can be disorientating at times, a big white horse known as THE DEADLY PERCHERON (John Franklin Bardin, 1946) is nonetheless highly recommended. 5:Don't anguish over the lack of legs on a fish. There's a simple reason. THEY DON'T DANCE MUCH (James Ross, 1940).

The ones that almost made it (chronologically): PHANTOM LADY Cornell Woolrich, 1942 THE BUTTERFLY James M Cain, 1946 BUILD MY GALLOWS HIGH Geoffrey Homes, 1946 I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVES Boris Vian, 1946 NIGHTFALL (DARK CHASE) David Goodis, 1947 PRELUDE TO A CERTAIN MIDNIGHT Gerald Kersh, 1947 FRAMED IN GUILT Day Keene, 1949

Al